Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring Style

I went shopping yesterday for new spring styles. Apparently it was a popular day to go shop because there were lines at all the dressing rooms. Also lots of pouty teenagers (surely my mother didn't let me act like that!), crying toddlers, and really skinny 50+ women dressing like teeny-boppers.

But as I was shopping I really felt convicted about how much stuff I have. I didn't need a single thing. I don't think it is wrong to spend money on clothes (as long as you have the money to spend), but the more I shopped the more I kept thinking about how many clothes I already have that I don't wear and how many other good things I could do with the clothing budget. So all I bought were a few very simple pieces:
- a black knit dress that is super flattering, comfortable, and versatile enough to wear out to a nice dinner, to work, to church, laying around the house, and as a swimsuit cover-up (from Marshalls).
- a pair of flat black sandals (from Target). I decided I could use a pair of flats that aren't flip-flops.
- a pair of black pumps to replace my work pair that died last month ($10 in the clearance aisle at Marshalls).

Actually, I really don't wear that much black, I promise. :)

Based on my brief spring style survey, here's what's in that I'll be participating in the trend:
- natural accessories
- cardigans (I have tons of these)
- colors: coral, cobalt blue, hot pink, turquoise, black and white, neutrals

I will not be participating in these trends:
- military style
- big floral patterns (these look ridiculous on petite people)
- yellow (I shudder when I think about that color next to my skin tone!)

So when I got home I went through my closet and found tons of items that are "on trend" that I will be sporting this spring. Here are a few of my favorites:

Purses galore, thanks to Mom!


Bought this coral dress at Gap when I was in high school. It still fits and it's still fashionable. Two hurrahs!


Bought this darling black and white dress at Loft three or four years ago, and it's still in style, yay!


Judging by what I saw in stores yesterday, I can get another season out of this trend (bought these at Old Navy last year):


New black flat sandals:


Cute hot pink shoes Aunt 'Ne gave me last year:

3 comments:

  1. Next time I go shopping I think I'll just shop in your closet :). Btw, I loved the cute dress you wore to church today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy would like for me to take shopping lessons from you. I would shop in my closet, but it is all frumpy, old lady clothes. I so need to jazz up my wardrobe! Maybe I need to dress like one of those 50+ teeny-bopper women you saw. Only I wouldn't fit in the really skinny category. Wonder how a fluffy 50+ teeny-bopper would look? And no, your mother never let you act like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, I love those black sandals. I might have to copy you!

    ReplyDelete