Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Love Reading

The Well-Educated Mind, Susan Wise Bauer
This book inspired me to take up a course of serious reading and review of Western literature and civilization. Let us hope I do better than Jane Austen's Emma! (Mr. Knightley: "Emma has been meaning to read more ever since she was twelve years old. I have seen a great many lists of the drawing-up, at various times, of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good lists they were, very well chosen, and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically, and sometimes by some other rule . . . But I have done with expecting any course of serious reading from Emma. She will never submit to anything requiring industry and patience, and a subjection of the fancy to understanding.") On a more serious note, I really did enjoy the book. Bauer offers insightful commentary without telling you what to think; instead she wants to train you to think for yourself.

I Will Carry You, Angie Smith
Angie writes the "Bring the Rain" blog. This book is about her daughter, Audrey, and Angie's decision to continue the pregnancy after being told Audrey had conditions making her "incompatible with life." It is a beautiful story of hope and faith. Sad and encouraging and really spoke to my heart.

Mary Barton, Elizabeth Gaskell
Nineteenth century British novel about class, industrial England, family ties, and love, of course. Throw in a murder trial and you're good to go! Haha I really did enjoy this story, though it did get a little preachy at times when the novelist steps in.

No comments:

Post a Comment