Monday, April 19, 2010

Mono

You've got to be kidding me. I thought mono was something teenagers get.

Since last weekend I have just felt "off." Some fever, some nausea, just generally feeling tired. But not really like I'm terribly sick and can't function.

This weekend I started to notice jaundice in my skin and eyes (as in, they are yellow. remember how I've said before yellow is not my color?!). I thought jaundice was something babies get.

I finally went to the doctor today. She ordered a bunch of blood work, and then I asked her to test for mono, too. I don't have the standard mono symptoms (sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, exhaustion), but I read on WebMD that jaundice could be a less common symptom. She said, "okay, we can test for it." And five minutes later she came back and said, "Guess what, you have mono."

I saw my mom this weekend and she guessed I had mono. As if I needed another reason to believe my mom is always right . . . it is going to take a long time to live this one down.

The doctor is doing other blood work, too, to make sure nothing is majorly wrong with my liver. In the meantime I am supposed to rest and drink lots of water and sit in the sun. Which would be great if the pool was open and I could be under doctor's orders to sit by the pool and tan while on sick leave. Unfortunately the pool doesn't open for another two weeks, bah.

So . . . what am I going to do with myself?!? Daytime television sucks. I have already read a ton of books. I also did my wedding scrapbook, start to finish (just in time for our third wedding anniversary). NOW WHAT? Any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering where you were this weekend! So sorry you're sick! :( I'm thinking that since you are supposed to soak up some rays in order to get better, then you MUST go on a tropical vacation until you've recovered. It's clearly the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you are sick!! I find that when I am sick, I pick up new hobbies. Sewing being the most recent, knitting 2 winters ago. Maybe a trip to Hobby Lobby will cure you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you're feeling icky! If you can't go on a tropical vacation then I could bring my scrapbook to you and you could work on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh DEAR! That is not good :( I'm reading Sean Hannity's new book which is great..pick that up if you haven't already! Also, you could netflix the Miss Marple BBC murder mysteries and drink tea :) I'm so sorry you're sick...that's just the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so sorry! I got mono right after having Rylie - that was fun! She was about 4 weeks old! Like resting was an option...
    You can do some volunteer work if you get really bored, I know places like the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society need people to do phone calls to patients and family to remind them of support group meetings, gather info, etc. As do many, many other society's like them.
    OR, this is a great time to work on that book you are going to write :-)
    OR, you just BREATHE, take it easy and take it day by day to see what each one has in store - it may be time for you to learn how to just stop. That's it...just stop and be. It's amazing what can happen in those moments! Feel better soon!! (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete