Sunday, April 11, 2010

Craving Real Food

Since November the Gent and I have been on an even healthier kick. Lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies, and lean proteins. The Gent has been trying to get his cholesterol down a little bit, and I have been trying to expand my palate. I always heard that the more "real" food you eat the more you crave it. I didn't really buy it. However, I have changed my mind. After getting used to homemade bread and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, that's what I crave. Not to say I don't ever eat sun chips or m&m's, but I eat a lot less of them. And I don't crave them anymore.

I think I have finally developed a healthy relationship with food. Food is fuel for my body. What I eat directly impacts the way I feel. Eating real food makes me feel good!

And as a side benefit, I put on my bikini for the first time last week, and I looked pretty darn good in it. Though there will not be any photos posted, ha! And I don't exercise all that much - a two mile walk about five days a week, and weight training one day a week.

Here's what a typical day's menu looks like for me:
breakfast: 1/2 cup cereal or oatmeal
morning snack: fruit and cheese
lunch: sandwich, fresh veggie (like a salad or carrot sticks), and fruit
dinner: a whole grain, vegetable, and lean protein

If I snack in the afternoon or evening, it is usually more fruit, honey wheat pretzels, or cashews.

Suggestions for more healthy recipes? I'll be sharing some of my favorites later this week.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't see any mention of the main food group - ice cream. Most importantly, Graeter's ice cream! Where does that fit into my healthy diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo very jealous of your great eating habits as well as your great attitude! oh to be like thee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice cream is a great treat. The best kind is made with ingredients I can pronounce, like milk, cream, sugar, eggs, and chocolate. Ahhh it's dairy!

    Haha, Sam! You have great eating habits, too, Ms Yogurt and Grapenuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terrified to try on my bikini...*Sigh*

    ReplyDelete