Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Homebody

Just in case you didn't already know it, I'm a homebody. Sure, I like to go out with friends now and then, or have dinner at a nice restaurant, but overall, I like to be at home. A great evening for me is to make dinner for us, spend some time with the doggies, and watch a ballgame, an episode of The Office, or read a book with my hubby close-by. That's all. I cherish togetherness.

On a somewhat related note, I've been thinking a lot about the church and family life. I think it is easy for American churches to get so caught up in the preschool program and the student ministry and the women's Bible study groups and the homeless ministry and the outreach program (and the list goes on), that we forget about ministering to families as a whole. Some churches have so many programs and classes and Bible studies that families don't even go to the worship service together. And if they do all go to the same service, the kids under five are in the nursery, and the teenagers all sit together with the student ministry. So the kids between ages six and twelve sit with their parents (maybe, if their parents are in the same service - because mom might be teaching the fifth graders while dad is volunteering to usher in the service).

None of these ministries are bad. In fact, most of the time they do a whole lot of good! I think it is important to have a place of service in your church. I'm not trying to criticize the church, either. And a large part of the problem rests on families, who make the decisions about what to participate in and often let themselves get pulled into too many good activities, that combine to pull the family in different directions instead of drawing them closer to each other.

I don't know if there are any real solutions or if this is even really a problem? Maybe when I have my own kids I'll have a different opinion. I definitely think the women's Bible studies and the student ministry and the nursery (etc) have a place. But what I would love to see are more opportunities in the church to strengthen families as a whole, not just offer a parenting seminar on Friday night. Invite children back into our worship services, provide opportunities to serve as a family.

What do you think? Has being at home so much with mono affected my mind? :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my.... you have hit quite a nerve in my brain with this post. I am from a small church (membership of 200 or less) and the worship service was the focus for the Sunday morning hour - all the other activities were to take place either during the Sunday evening service time or during the Wednesday evening service time. There was no nursery during worship service because the family was to be together to hear the sermon. The children sat semi-quietly for the entire sermon - now, I know by today's standards that would be considered child abuse but that is just the way it was to be. I remember lots of coloring books,cheerios, sippie cups, and toys that made no noise in my children's diaper bags. You are exactly correct.... there is a time for everything - Including family worship.

    ReplyDelete