Sunday, March 13, 2011

Finally: Our Breastfeeding Success Story

Whew.

So I had heard breastfeeding could be hard at first.

I had no idea.

I read the books, we went to the hospital's class, we had lots of support lined up.

Yeah.

Like I said, NO IDEA. Breastfeeding is supposed to be natural, right? And I do have a couple of friends who were able to nurse their babies easily without hitting all the speed bumps Annie and I did. But I've also heard my share of difficult stories. Here is ours.

The first day in the hospital, Annie latched on well and I thought we were off to a good start.

The second day, she was super-sleepy and she never did really latch on and nurse.

We met with the lactation consultant before we went home and she got Annie to latch on for a few minutes. I was assured that a few minutes of nursing was all she needed until my milk came in.

When we got home, every time I put Annie to the breast she cried. Or screamed. No latching. No nursing. Nothing going in my baby's tummy.

Wednesday my milk was in. Wednesday we also had our first pediatrician visit. The nurse put her on the scale and she was down to 6 lbs. I knew that was too much but also realized that my milk had just come in and she would start gaining soon. The doctor walked in and the first words out of his mouth were "you need to put this baby on formula." Ohhhhhhhhhhh those were fighting words! He wanted to give her a bottle there in the office but I wouldn't let him.

When we got home I started pumping and feeding her with a syringe. We did that for 24 hours. The Gent and I were exhausted but Annie was happy. I did give her a tiny bit of formula (less than 1 oz) when I couldn't pump enough for her at one feeding. Thursday morning I called Laurie and she came by to try to help us. She assured me that Annie could re-learn how to latch on and sent us to the hospital to meet her friend Natalie, a lactation consultant.

Thursday afternoon we met with Natalie. She undressed Annie down to her diaper and shoved her up to my breast. Annie screamed her head off and beat her little fists against me for a full 35 minutes. Then she finally gave up and latched on. She got really quiet. And then she FINALLY nursed.

I was so happy. I thought we had arrived.

Ha. Shows what I know.

Annie quickly decided she loved nursing. We nursed every couple of hours during the day, and every three or four at night. My girl has a suck like my Dyson vacuum cleaner (yes, she is latched on correctly). By Sunday my nipples were very, very sore. By Monday they were cracked and bleeding. By Tuesday - scabs. And major pain at every nursing. I was using my breathing techniques from childbirth just to get through a feeding.

Thursday my Mom, Laurie, and the lactation consultant assured me a nipple shield was a necessity until my nipples healed. Otherwise we were headed for mastitis and thrush. I put up a very mild resistance.

Oh, nipple shield, how I love thee.

Nursing was immediately so much better. Annie didn't love the shield, but she would take it. And I could feed her without being in severe pain. Per the lactation consultant's recommendation, I also got a prescription for all purpose nipple ointment (Google Dr. Newman's nipple ointment if you want to know more). It has an antibiotic to prevent mastitis and an anti-fungal to prevent thrush, and it helps your nipples heal.

Starting last night I was able to nurse on the right side without the nipple shield. Annie went right back to the breast with no problem. I'm going to need the shield for another day or two on the left side, but we are at last almost on what I hope is a peaceful path of breastfeeding for the next year.

And, yes, it is absolutely worth it.

Breastfeeding is best for Annie and best for me. A couple of weeks of difficulty were worth it for our long-term well-being. And I am so thankful for supportive grandmas and doulas and lactation consultants! And nipple shields!!!

3 comments:

  1. My experience when bf Javen was very similar, though it took me a really long time to heal...even though he was latching properly. My dr. told me that sometimes genetics play a big part in how your body reacts. I cried in pain every time for 3 months. (Why didn't anyone tell me about the shield?!?) BUT when Liam came along we had ZERO issues. It was so easy from day 1. Maybe a good reason to have your kids close together? ;)Keep up the good work, you're such a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you stuck with it. i had a hard time with vale (and used shields the entire time) but with beck it has been a breeze. i hope it continues to work out well for you two. it can be the hardest, most emotionally draining thing you'll ever do. it is also one of the sweetest things you'll ever do.

    i ran across this blog yesterday...she posts incredible paintings of mothers breastfeeding. they'll make you smile and make you proud to be a mommy!

    http://marvelouskiddo.blogspot.com/search/label/Breastfeeding

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been blog-checking so I hadn't read this post until now. I had the exact same experience with Ethan! And yes, I loved the nipple shields. We had to use them for quite a while but it was worth it.... And then Ethan decided he loved nursing so much, he grew to 18 pounds at three months! ACK!!!!!! My back and shoulders were not appreciative of that growth spurt. Enjoy your wee one. :)

    ReplyDelete