Friday, September 17, 2010

Settling In

Well, we're settling in here. Trying to take in the fun things the city has to offer (like free symphony performances in the park) and getting to know our neighbors. I'm going to start volunteering at the pregnancy clinic one day a week, and I'm thinking about volunteering at our local elementary school. Would they think that's really weird since I don't have a child there?

We are looking for a new home church. We've visited two a couple of times, but don't think either one of them is the right fit. So we're going to try another this Sunday. Sigh . . . I know this sounds terrible, but I really dislike finding a new church home. I get overwhelmed by all the "options" and then I start to feel badly comparing churches, and then I decide what I really want is to go back to our home church, but we can't do that because we've moved . . . I should probably pray about this more instead of thinking about it so much. I know God has a great church home for us here. I am ready to "find" it and start meeting people our own age!

And in other news, (big big big gulp) I went $100 over our grocery budget this month. Ahhhh! There is no Aldi here and it is killing me. And the budget. Going to have to come up with some brilliant plan for next month. See, the problem is couponing really doesn't help me much, because most of what I buy is in the perimeter of the store (aren't you proud of me?). There aren't a whole lot of coupons for broccoli crowns, grapes, ground turkey, and organic milk. :/ For now my plan is to import my Aldi groceries whenever I have family visit from out of town. We'll see how I do next month.

While I'm ranting, there are a few other stores I really miss. Kroger. Whole Foods. Macys (see, they don't all revolve around food). And a Chipotle. I'd love a yummy burrito. I went to their website to find the closest one, and this is what I got: "We're sorry. No Chipotle locations found within 30 miles. Please try your search again. Or move." Yes, it really was in bold. Ha. Guess I can make it a year without these indulgences. :) Happy Friday, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. This just means you have to come see me - alot! I have Aldi's, Macy's, Whole Foods and Chipotle! No Kroger though. Four out of five isn't bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady - have you checked around to see if they have a program where fresh fruits and veggies are delivered from local farms? There is a program like that in East Nashville - it is a farmers cooperative. You pay a yearly fee (or split it with someone) and they deliver fresh veggies and fruit each week. Check into that and see - that would at least help with those items. Good luck. If you need staples like sugar, flour, etc. let me know and I can ship them from here......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mom. :)

    Samantha - I love the food co-op ideas. I am definitely going to look into that next year!

    ReplyDelete