Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Advice, Anyone?

Okay, folks, I know this sounds weird (and trust me, I have never had this problem before; I used to be able to gain two pounds overnight!), but I am struggling to gain weight and I am starting to get a little concerned that baby is not getting what he or she needs. I have only gained one and a half pounds in the past 15 weeks. Here's what a typical day's menu looks like for me:

breakfast
juice or fruit
two slices whole wheat bread with peanut butter
string cheese

snack
granola bar or peanut butter crackers or cashews

lunch
fruit
fresh veggies (like broccoli, carrots, or salad), with a cream-based dressing
ham and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread

snack
fruit or cheese

dinner
something homemade, usually including a carb, veggies, and protein (some dinners I made last week were baked chicken, sweet potatoes, and brown rice; quiche and salad; chicken chili and salad)

I walk 30 minutes 5x a week, and do about 20 minutes of light weight training and stretching 5x a week. And I drink tons of water.

Any suggestions on healthy ways to add some more calories? I'm trying with drinking juice sometimes instead of water, and switching to cream-based dressings instead of vinegar-based ones, but that's not helping. I have no appetite for sweets. I bought a half-gallon of ice cream and it took me ten days to eat it all, and then I felt sick every time I ate it (and here I thought pregnancy was the one time in my life I could eat sweets and not feel guilty).

I'm thinking maybe I'm not getting enough protein?

Advice, please!

PS - PLEASE don't think I'm bragging about not gaining weight. I promise you this has never been an issue for me in the past! And in March I'll be back on the losing wagon!

5 comments:

  1. I would try and add in more healthy fats like avocados (yum!) and also adding in more protein. You're right to suggest this as it will help you build muscle and give your body lasting fuel for the day. I think eggs in the morning are a great way to jump start your protein (maybe wrapped in a tortilla with fresh veggies salsa and cheese?). I would also look into greek yogurt with granola and berries mixed in for fiber, fat, dairy and delicious-ness. Those are some of my go-to breakfasts that are healthy and filling.

    Keep us posted on your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't have any healthy suggestions - just encouragement! I didn't gain any weight the first 12 or so weeks with Will. And ended up gaining 35 by the time he was born. At my 12 week appt. this time I hadn't gained any weight either. I think that if your doctor is not concerned and the heartbeat is good then you don't have anything to worry about. It sounds like you are taking excellent care of yourself and the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comment above. I loved avocados and greek yogurt while i was pregnant.

    But don't worry too much. Those pounds will start piling on soon :) I didn't gain any weight with either pregnancy until 16 weeks. Then one month I gained 9! Hopefully your weight gain will be a bit more gradual...but again, just keep eating and the weight will come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your friends. I didn't gain any weight until between my 5th and 6th month with both you and your brother, and look how great you turned out! I ended up gaining 30 pounds with both of you. i really think you will gain all you need to later in your pregnancy.

    Your diet sounds really good, but, if you want to get some more calories increasing your protein like you suggested is the best way. For breakfast, if you ate one of those thin bagels with 2 slices of turkey bacon and and egg, you would get 230 calories and 14 gms of protein. When you eat fruit for a snack, try adding peanut butter to an apple or instead of eating fruit or cheese, try eating them together. Also the Chobani Greek yogurt is awesome! You can get 12 containers at Sams for about $10. It has 10 gms of protein. And the suggestions of avocado are good - get the Gent to make you some of his fabulous guacamole.

    Don't know if you can stomach them, but there are some great bars out there - Luna Bars are wonderful, also Pure Protein chocolate and peanut butter, and they aren't too sweet. I'll bring you one this weekend to try.

    We'll fatten you up this weekend. Early morning french toast, blueberry muffins, hamburgers on the grill, baked beans, cookies and Graeter's ice cream. I gained five pounds just typing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to let you know that with my first I didn't gain one pound until I was almost 5 months. I was worried too but the doctor told me that the baby was getting all he needed from what I had stored up - which, quite frankly, really made me happy. Do not get too concerned quite yet - your doc would have told you if something was not right about your weight gain. The baby does the most growing in months 6,7, and 8 so you have a little time. Keep up the healthy eating tho - it will help you in March.

    Love and Misses! Sam

    ReplyDelete