Monday, March 4, 2013

Grocery Shopping

For years, I’ve been thinking there’s got to be an easier way to plan meals, shop for groceries and household necessities, clip coupons, and save time, sanity, and money. My plan is by no means perfect, but here’s the system I’m currently working with. Overall I’m pretty happy with it.

First, I gave up only grocery shopping every two weeks. We inevitably ran out of something and I made a trip to the store every week anyway. Now the kids and I go grocery shopping one day a week, to two stores each week. We shop at Publix every week, Walmart (for household supplies like paper towels and toothpaste) once a month, Aldi (for pantry staples, cheese, and meat) twice a month, and Sam’s Club (for dog food and a few other things) once a month.

Is Publix the cheapest store in town? No. Can I make it work for our budget? Yes. I browse their circular online each week and add to my list any sale and buy one get one free items we eat on a regular basis. I don’t have much pantry and freezer space, but I make the most of what I do have. I came home from a recent shopping trip with $50 worth of free items that we will actually eat (thin bagels, whole wheat pasta, canned tomatoes, etc). And at Publix, I know the store will be clean and well-stocked, I can always find a double-shopping cart for the babies, employees smile and are helpful, they give my kids goodies like coloring books and crayons, and they load my groceries in the van. I will pay an extra few dollars for these services.

I created a master list for each store (Aldi, Publix, Sam’s Club, and Walmart) and I keep a copy posted on my fridge. Whenever I notice we are running low on something I mark it on the list. Presto! My shopping list is almost complete this way, without me having to sit down and figure out what we need.

The day before shopping day, I sit down and plan out the week’s menus. Usually this is only three to four meals, since I account for meals with friends, eating out, and leftovers. I make sure to double one recipe and freeze half. Then there is always a supply of meals in the freezer for days when I am too tired or busy to cook. This comes in handy for foster children coming and going, a new baby, and toddler tantrum days, too. Not that my kids--cough, cough, JJ--ever have those. :)

For menu planning, I have a well-stocked but purged old-fashioned recipe box. I keep it organized and no recipes go in there unless they are tried and true family favorites. I keep a folder with new recipes I want to try. Usually I tear these out of magazines. Better Homes and Gardens has easy, healthy recipes and is one I rely on often. I try to make at least one new thing each week. If the recipes are winners, they make it into the box. Otherwise they head to the recycling bin. I go through the box a couple of times and year and throw out anything that no longer looks appealing. This makes menu planning pretty easy.

After making my grocery list, I scan through coupons.com and print off coupons for any items I regularly purchase. I’ve given up on other coupon sites; coupons.com seems to be the easiest one to navigate with the best selection, and I’m going for time efficiency here.

Like I said, it is by no means perfect, but it’s the best I’ve come up with. Any tricks you use that you’d like to share?

3 comments:

  1. The Master List idea is genius!! We do Aldi bi-weekly and Kroger monthly and I always make a list for each (often just rewriting from week to week). Thanks for the tips!

    Speaking of Aldi, they have had some amazing cheese recently up by us. We love the vanilla blueberry goat cheese log and the white Irish cheddar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment about Coupons.com : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that grocery shopping every week is a MUST - especially if you buy REAL foods that spoil after a few days! I do the same, but for our big family, we also do a weekly COSTCO trip! It’s not huge, but it’s the cheapest milk in town, and we always need one of our bulk items... one week it’s paper towels, another week, trash bags, another week, TP, etc... I need to purge my recipe box tho - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete