Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas in our Old House

I had lots of fun decorating this house - I think it was made for Christmas! And I re-did the family room and entry way, just wasn't happy with the way they were before. The family room didn't have enough layers, if that makes sense. I like to decorate in layers - start with the furniture, add rugs and window treatments if needed, add artwork, add lamps, add pillows, add throws, add picture frames, add candles, add books . . . and keep adding till it finally feels right.

IMG_5176

IMG_5177

IMG_5178

Feels right=cozy+welcoming+home+cheer.

The fireplace screen is an early Christmas gift from Nana and Papaw. The hearth is filled with magnolia leaves, also from Nana and Papaw. The mantle is done with a garland (on loan from the same Nana and Papaw), filled in with more magnolia and some holly from Mom and Dad's yard. Add some candles and stockings and ta-da, ready for Santa Claus.
IMG_5179

Tree is from Home Depot. I suggested a tree farm but was over-ruled by the hubby. Oh well, we didn't have a free Saturday to go to a tree farm anyway. Decorating was lots of fun - Stephanie made dinner and then we all decorated together. Each ornament has a story, I love it!
IMG_5181

The rug in the entry way was too small and not holding up well to the dogs. New jute rug (Overstock.com) is holding up great and covers the floor nicely. Added pillows to the bench. Rearranged furniture - this bureau used to be upstairs in the hall, but I bought a different one to go up there (Craigslist, $75, Mom bargained them down). So now all my rooms feel finished except the play room. It can wait till January. :) See the pretty boxwood wreaths on my banister? Made those from an embroidery frame, tied boxwood sprigs to them with floral wire, hung with fishing line. I saw this in a magazine but can't remember which one. Great idea, though, whoever thought of it!
IMG_5171

Christmas time is here! I bought fraser fir wreaths at Home Depot, then added cedar sprigs and boxwoods and ribbon.
IMG_5169

Dining room table. LOVE the way my centerpiece came together. You know how you always start those projects and then they don't turn out the way you wanted them to? Well this one turned out PERFECTLY and I was majorly proud of myself, ha! I put a glass bowl inside Mom's mercury glass footed bowl (thanks for the loan, Mom), filled it with wet floral foam, then put in a base of fraser fir branches from the bottom of my Christmas tree. Then I added a mango, couple of artichokes, and some red delicious apples. I filled in with cedar sprigs and boxwoods, both from my yard. Add a few mercury glass candle holders, some red placemats, and silver cups with miniature arrangements and you're done!
IMG_0077

IMG_0076

IMG_0075

Buffet: One of my favorite nativities (I put one in every room) and our new advent wreath from Mom and Dad. The candles are on order but aren't in yet, so we're using a tea light for now.
IMG_5175

No comments:

Post a Comment