Tuesday, August 3, 2010

IRS, Part 3

Remember this? And this?

Cause yesterday we got another letter from the IRS saying we owe taxes and interest and they are going to put a tax lien on our property (I am wondering what property?).

So I called AGAIN today. Fifty-nine minutes and thirty-eight seconds to straighten this mess that is not of my making out. Recall the IRS deposited our check the week after we mailed it, but they filed it under the wrong Social Security number, even though the correct number was written on the front of the check.

When we talked last time, they told me I would "not receive more letters requesting payment and interest." THEY LIED. But why am I not surprised?

Today I was on hold for 20 minutes. Then I explained the situation. Here's the short version.
IRS: Your account has been closed, but the payment was never posted.
Me: I am looking at my cancelled check right now.
IRS: Okay, let me see if I can find it. (more time on hold) I can't find your payment. Let me look again. (on hold again) No, I still can't find it. Read me the numbers on the back.
Me: long list of numbers . . . blah blah blah . . .
IRS: Hold on a minute. (more boring music plays) No, that's not bringing anything up. But if we cashed it, we can find it. (thought but not said: SHEESH CRAZY PEOPLE I HAVE THE CANCELLED CHECK RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! YOU BETTER HOPE YOU CAN FIND IT!) Can you fax me a copy?
Me: Yes, but it'll take me a minute. I need to get up from my desk.
IRS: Okay, I'll hold. (this part was kind of fun, since I'd been on hold about 35 minutes by this point)
Me: Okay, I just faxed it over.
IRS: I don't see it.
Me: I'll send it again.
IRS: Now I have it. Please hold. (long wait) Well, I found your payment. (thought but not said, YES you cashed it five months ago!!!) It will take about two weeks to transfer over to your account. You should get a notice in the mail that your account has been closed.
Me: Thank you for your help.

Here's hoping the third time is the charm . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment