Thursday, May 27, 2010

Some Thoughts on Faithfulness

Several weeks ago I asked for suggestions on what to have engraved on my graduation necklace. I decided on "faithful." This is a word I've been mulling over (isn't mulling a great word? but not as pretty on a necklace, ha) the past several months.

"He is Who He was before today." Last week I came across this quote on Angie Smith's blog (Bring the Rain), and it really stuck with me. God is Who He was before the circumstances of today (or yesterday, or whatever tragedy or difficulty or unexpected circumstance) happened. The character of God does not change. He is eternally faithful to His children.

I have to be reminded of this truth every day!!

Lamentations 3:22-23 says that God's mercies are new every morning!
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness."

And when Jesus taught us to pray, He said, "Give us this day our daily bread" (Luke 11:3). Not our weekly bread, our daily bread. Have you ever noticed how God gives you what you need exactly when you need it? He is our Provider, but He wants us to trust Him to supply our needs. In God's Word, He promises that He will! "My God will supply all your needs, according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19).

Exodus 16 tells how God provided manna (bread) from heaven for the Israelites to eat. But the bread was only good for one day. Some of them didn't follow God's commandments and tried to store the manna, just in case God forgot to send it the next day. But the manna wouldn't keep. The next day it would be full of maggots, YUCK.

I am often like the Israelites in Exodus, hoarding what I think I need because I don't trust the Lord to provide it for me.

BUT

I am learning.

Slowly.

There are some things - a lot of things - I do not know. But this I do know: God is faithful, each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment