Friday, February 5, 2016

Books that Changed Me

Those who've read this blog for a while know I love to read. There's something about reading a book. A real book with pages you can turn and highlight and pass on to your children or your friends. I was recently dusting our bookshelves (glamorous I know!) and I got to really looking at the books stacked there (arranged by my own system which probably makes little sense to anyone else). A few I barely remember reading (that treatise on natural law, I'm looking at you!), most I could summarize, some I recall in great detail, and some directly impacted the course of my life. I thought it might be interesting to make a list of the dozen books on my shelf that changed the course of my personal history, beginning with the most important and carrying on in no particular order.

1. The Bible. Hands down, obvious answer. My favorite translation is the English Standard Version, though I also use the New American Standard, New International Version, King James, and the Message paraphrase on occasion. How could I not be transformed by reading the very Word of God? It is living and active, and is tangible hold-in-your-hand proof that God is there and that He cares. He gave us His true Word! I read it every day. I study it every day. I pray it every day. I read it to my kids every day. If you've never read it, start today. In the Psalms. Or the Gospel of John. And pray the words of Psalm 119:18: Open my eyes to see wonderful things in your Word!

2. A Promise Kept, by Robert McQuilkin. This little book is 85 short pages, but it tells the beautiful story of Robert and his wife Muriel, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her 55th year. A poignant reminder of the marriage vows we enter into before God, and how He truly is working even in the most desperate of circumstances.

3. The Well-Trained Mind, by Jessie Bauer and Susan Wise Bauer. The how-to handbook for a classical education from preschool through 12th grade. An excellent explanation of the classical education method, lots of curriculum choices, and lists and lists of great books! This book gives me the courage that I can teach my kids well at home.

4. Persuasion, by Jane Austen. If I had to choose a favorite Austen novel, it would be this, her last completed work. Written in a race against failing health, this story reminds me that it is never too late to realize your mistakes and change direction. What story would you write as you were facing your own death?

5. Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. This book explores Biblical teachings about heaven and the myths we believe about it. Who really wants to sit on a cloud and strum a harp all day? But the true heaven, the new heavens and new earth, that will come at the end of time when Jesus returns and sets all things to right, wipes away all our tears, takes away all our suffering, and we live in God's presence for all eternity? Amazing. If you've every been scared of death and what comes next (and who hasn't?), read this book.

6. Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler. I first read this book when I was trying to get pregnant after our first miscarriage. Awesome information on how a woman's body is designed to work, and how to work with your body instead of against it. Fertility is not a disease, people! Love that this book opened my eyes to understanding my cycle, how to optimize pregnancy chances, and how to avoid pregnancy without the use of chemicals. I continue to practice Toni's fertility awareness method and love it! Take your body back from the pharmaceutical companies, women of the world! ;)

7. A Voice in the Wind, by Francine Rivers. This novel opened my eyes to the beautiful truth that Christian fiction does not have to be awful. Love Francine's powerful novels (and a beautiful love story doesn't hurt)! Read them all!

8. Small Town, Big Miracle, by Bishop W.C. Martin. A true story of how a poor little town in Texas adopted 72 of the hardest to place foster children (teenagers, sibling groups, special needs). This book encouraged me to begin the foster parent process. You don't have to be perfect or rich or have it all together to foster or adopt. Every child needs a family. Maybe yours. It probably won't be easy and it probably won't be pretty. Do it anyway.

9. Understanding the Times, by David Noebel. I first studied this book in high school. It opened my eyes to different worldviews people hold to, and how it influences your life and way of thinking. Understand other points of view so you can have rational discussions, but build for yourself a firm foundation in truth!

10. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy. So many people find the length of this novel daunting. But it is actually very easy to read and the story will draw you in quickly. I read it while backpacking across Europe with my cousin our last summer of college. You can read this book and enjoy it and then you will feel so accomplished!

11. Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. The classic for a reason. I love many of Lewis's works, but this one is a great one to begin with. The beauty of this "mere" Christianity--God made man and come to live with us!

12. Love and Respect, by Emerson Eggerichs. My favorite practical book for marriage. Husbands love your wives, wives respect your husbands. That's the summary but this book will fill in the details.

Kids are waking up so I am finished here. Currently reading My Antonia by Willa Cather. Go read something!

No comments:

Post a Comment