Monday, January 28, 2013

The Mama Journey

IMG_4096

IMG_0026

IMG_4024

I'm so excited to do this baby thing again. To experience all those firsts and celebrate the tiny milestones. So much joy in the journey with little ones, where there are new wonders to discover each day. I love the nurturing of this little life inside me now, and even look forward to the birthing and the newborn days--hard yet beautiful because only I can do it (with a lot of help)--bring this little girl into the world and nourish her body and soul. Even three am nursing sessions take on new meaning when I remember how fleeting this stage is and how a tiny life is depending on me. And oh, that newborn smell, the first smile, the first time baby sleeps more than four hours at a time . . . beautiful things.

Sometimes (lots of the time) this mama thing is really hard. Annie and JJ are busy exploring and testing boundaries and some days I feel like all I do is change diapers and say "no" over and over again. I lose my patience daily and frustration builds. They wake up from their nap, start calling for mama, and all I want them to do is go back to sleep and leave me alone. Anybody else feel this way? :)

But you know what? Life is not an emergency. It's a gift. (Thank you, Ann Voskamp, for those wise words.)

Life is not an emergency. Of dirty diapers, naptimes that involve no napping, toys thrown across the room, and peanut butter sandwiches smeared on the table.

Life is a gift. Of story time, exploring outside, cuddles, kisses, and games. Life is little hands holding mine as we pray before meals. Life is learning to sing and practicing new words. Life is stacking blocks in the floor and knocking them down--forward, backward, edging forward. Life is growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord, and imparting those truths to my children. Life is a gift.

2 comments:

  1. It is so fun watching you be a mama to these sweet babies. I know it isn't, but you make it look easy. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments about being a mama take me back to those early days. You handle it with so much grace and we are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete