Monday, April 30, 2012

Wal-Mart Checkers

Ahh Wal-Mart. I really don't enjoy my shopping experiences there but it is cheaper than other area grocery stores and there are always things besides groceries that I need (on today's list: birdseed, a hairbrush, and a graduation card). So I put up with the craziness to save some money. But, oh, how I dream of doing all my shopping at Publix someday. :D

As anyone who's shopped at Wal-Mart knows, the most interesting part of the experience is always the check-out line. Will it be fast, will it be slow? What delightful story will the checker want to share with you?

Three grocery trips ago I was regaled with a tale about how the checker's daughter-in-law was a (bunch of names I won't repeat on this family blog) and made her wear a dress that made her look like (another word I won't repeat here) to her son's wedding but that's okay, she could wear it again on Halloween if she dressed as a (insert word of your choice). I always try to be polite, but ummm really how was I supposed to respond to this?

Two grocery trips ago I bought whole bean decaf coffee. If you want whole bean decaf, you have to buy it by the pound (you know, where you fill your own bag with fresh beans). The checker didn't know how to ring it up. After I told her how to do it, she blurts out, "Eleven dollars for coffee?! That's crazy!! Who would pay that for COFFEE??!?!" Obviously, I would. There are few things we splurge on around here and good coffee is one of them.

One grocery trip ago I went to lift Annie out of the cart and told the checker, "I'll be right back, I'm just going to grab a coke." She quickly waved me off, "no, no, I will get it for you, what kind would you like?" She was friendly (but not overly so), quick to ring up my purchases, and genuinely acted like she was having the time of her life running the Wal-Mart check-out line. Wow. As I left, I heard her greet the next customer enthusiastically and start all over again.

So I'm going grocery shopping again today . . . wonder what will happen?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm the only person who actually enjoys shopping at Wal-Mart! It really does not bother me at all - plus we can get everything we need in one stop. Will always seems to make a special friend and in Chattanooga it's Mr. Kyle and we always have to look for him when we check out.

    ReplyDelete