Monday, January 23, 2012

Some Thoughts on Vocation. And Cultivating a Heart of Thankfulness.

I've had some random thoughts on callings and gratitude lately and thought it might help me sort it out if I tried writing.

Vocation. A Google search tells me vocation is "a term for an occupation to which a person is specially drawn or for which they are suited, trained or qualified." Looking at vocation as a Christian, I ask myself, "what is it that God has uniquely designed me to do/be?" 1 Corinthians 10:31 says "whatever you do, do to the glory of God." I know my primary purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. But what does that look like in the day to day earthly life?

Big picture: I am happy where I am. Really, really happy. Content. Joyful. I love being a wife and mama and caring for my home. I love the life I share with my husband, I love soaking up all those firsts with my little girl, I love keeping my household running smoothly. I love having clean sheets and a homecooked dinner and pansies blooming on the front porch.

Little picture: Sometimes I am sick of laundry. Some days grocery shopping feels like a huge chore. Sometimes I just want Annie to nap so I can sit and do nothing. Some days it is noon before I get out of my yoga pants and into real clothes. Sometimes it feels like each day is a repeat of the one before and does anyone really notice what I do?!

So I'm trying to reconcile the big picture and the little picture. I want to cultivate a heart of thankfulness. I want to intentionally slow down and cherish the joys God brings in the everyday. I want to be one with Him, I want to commune with my Lord throughout the day, to have that continual conversation. What better way to do that than to express my gratitude to the One who gave it all?

I'm starting now. This morning I am thankful for . . .

the weather radio that warned us of dangerous storms last night
a sweet, sleepy baby to cuddle and nurse first thing in the morning
warmth and sunshine on our morning walk
a loyal Sheltie sleeping at my feet as I type

We'll see what happens as God teaches me to go through my day like this. Little snippets of thanks, short prayers, daily communion with the One who made me.

I'm counting joys.

5 comments:

  1. Perfectly put! The life of a momma: so fulfilling, yet mundane & repetitive at times... I think it’s finding joy in moments when we can see Him “winking” at us - giving us the desire of our heart, even when we haven’t voiced it! Love your perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read your blog today about one's calling. I look at you and I certainly think you have got to be called by God to be a Mother. I have never seen anyone adjust to Motherhood the way you have. I noticed it in the hospital, just a few minutes after Annie was born. You are just a natural. You were so relaxed and so proud of your daughter and you wanted to share her with everyone, right away. Many times a new Mother is so afraid her baby will break or catch something from someone, but you were so giving with your sharing.

    Then I have seen you draw the line and say, No, this is my baby and I make the rules. It is time for her nap, etc. Ha! You are so confident with her and that is good. You have to find your own way with parenthood. You will not always make the right decision....but you will learn and become better and better. God is a wonderful friend and he is always there for us. Sometimes, we try to do it ourselves, but we soon learn that God's way is the best and really the, only way, we will succeed and be happy. There will be times when you are struggling with a decision and you are just miserable. That is when God nearest. You can feel his presence most, then. God has shown me answers to things, that just seemed impossible, and it is always better than I could have imagined.

    I do not talk about my faith, much, I guess....I think it is personal, maybe. I am sometimes turned off by people who go aroung boasting about their faith and I guess I think one does not have to boast about it. It should show in the things they do.

    I wish you could have know my Dad. He was a very quiet, man. My strongest memories of him are of him sitting and reading his Bible and studying his Sunday School lesson, so he could teach the men's class on Sunday. He was so honest it was unreal. I remember once he thought someone had given him too much change,( and it was a small amount...less than $1) he returned immediatley to correct the mistake, etc.

    Daddy was a school teacher. He taught Science and Math. Those were some of the most difficult classes and he really was concerned with every student. He graded each paper, personally, and really worried when he felt a student did not do his or her best. Everything in his life spoke volumes. He was my hero. He never boasted about anything, but his life showed his faith. He was so kind and gentle with his discipline. I can just hear him when he needed to correct me about something or talk to me about something I had done wrong, he would always say,
    "Now Sister" (that was what he called me, many times instead of Nancy)

    Being a parent is the most important job in the world. The way you parent your children will be passed on for generations. You have been influenced by your parents and grandparents. Some things you will use with your children and so on and on. It is so important that it be good
    influence.

    I think when you settle in a church and get that Christain network around you again, you will find just the spot God has for you. It may be through that beautiful voice, it may be fostering children or it may be just working with children in your church. Other than my parents, the strongest influence in my life was my GA teacher, Mrs. Marjorie Horner. GA's, was an organization in the Baptist Church that focused on girls and missions.

    I know you have so many ideas and things that you want to accomplish, but being a good parent
    is the most important. I am so proud of all you do. You amaze me. Be sure to take the time to enjoy yourself and not just be trying to do so much and do it perfectly. It is so important to be happy and enjoy yourself, your husband and your child-children. This precious time is passing so fast. Just soak up every minute you can.

    When God calls us for something.....it may just be planting a seed for the future. God never calls us to do anything, he does not equip us to do.

    Psalms 46:10a "Be still,and know that I am God;"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are recognizing joy in the everyday. I think we miss the surprises of joy God gives us because we are rushing so much. Love that you are my daughter - I am learning so much from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing person and I am so thankful that I got the chance to know you, work with you, travel alongside you on your healing journey, and experience your life through this precious blog that allows me to take a break from this crazy world and enjoy life through you! Keep on going sister... you are definately on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for being real!! you are doing a great job. :) and thanks for the reminder to find God in the little things. I think I need to be reminded of that every day. :)

    ReplyDelete