Monday, April 18, 2011

Part Two: Our Breastfeeding Success Story

I wrote that first post too early!

I thought we were on the road to success . . . and we were, but just past the beginning.

Annie was healthy and happy, but small. And only gaining 2-3 oz per week (she should be gaining 4-7 oz each week). After trying numerous breastfeeding management techniques at the direction of Annie's pediatrician and the lactation consultant but not seeing any difference in her growth pattern, when she was three weeks old we decided to start supplementing with a little formula (5 oz a day, given one oz at a time after five different breastfeeding sessions). We put her on a high calorie preemie formula to really pack the ounces on. :)

I also started taking fenugreek and pumping to increase my milk supply, so that when Annie went off the formula I would have enough milk for her.

And it worked. After two weeks of the extra formula, she was well on her weigh (pun intended). We spent the next week weaning off the formula, dropping an ounce every two days till she was back to 100% breastfeeding. Last week was our first full week off formula. At her weigh-in she was up to 8 lbs 5 oz - 6 1/2 oz in one week, HURRAY! So I am now tapering off the pumping and the fenugreek, and I've put away the notepad where I was keeping track of all her feedings and diapers. No more record-keeping, I'm just feeding on demand and watching my baby grow!

If you were counting, it took us seven weeks to finally get the hiccups worked out. But now I am so grateful I stuck with it. It is so much easier than mixing formula and washing bottles, and so much better for Annie. It is worth it when I look down at the sweet baby nestled in my arms while she nurses. And I love those chubby baby cheeks. Even if I am STILL having pain when she latches on. It is much better than it was the first week, so I keep telling myself this to shall pass.

P.S. I found this website very helpful and reassuring while we were working through all these difficulties. This paragraph in particular was very reassuring, and in our case, was right on target: "The most important thing to consider when dealing with an infant who is not gaining weight is your baby's welfare. You need to work closely with his doctor, and monitor his weight carefully. It is often necessary to supplement with formula while you are working to increase your supply. Don't have the feeling that giving formula is the 'kiss of death' for breastfeeding. Often, supplementing with formula is just what you need to put weight on the baby quickly so that he can nurse more vigorously and effectively. Ask your doctor what formula he recommends, and get it into your baby however you can. If syringe- feeding, cup- feeding, tube -feeding at the breast or finger- feeding works for you, that's great. However, sometimes bottle-feeding is the most efficient way to get milk in a baby, and that is what takes priority over everything else. Many babies switch back and forth from breast to bottle with no problems, and if nipple confusion does develop, you can deal with it then. Once your baby is gaining weight appropriately, you can go back to nursing totally at the breast again. Don't be afraid to use a bottle or supplement with formula if that is what works for you and your baby."

2 comments:

  1. Way to go for persevering in spite of some pretty significant obstacles. You made a lot of sacrifices to put Annie's welfare ahead of your pain. A lesser woman would have given up. That makes this mama proud of her little girl! And I still promise it is going to get even easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for sticking with it! Most people might have given up! I have had co-workers tell me to "dry them up" because I have to pump three times a day while at work. I am sticking with it though! It is so good for our babies!

    ReplyDelete