Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Contentment

New definition: Contentment is lying in bed, listening to the deep breathing of your husband next to you and your baby within arm's reach. It is four-thirty in the morning and for a few brief moments you aren't even tired. You just soak it in. (And remember this moment when the going gets rough. Because at some point in the next 24 hours it will.)

This is a good week so far. I am focusing on spending time with Annie. The other stuff gets done eventually, when she naps or when the Gent is home. But even for someone as likes-to-be-on-top-of-everything-all-the-time as me, I treasure slowing down and just enjoying these days with my girl.

Babies Don’t Keep
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo.

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are learning this lesson early. Because you will blink your eyes and your little baby Annie will be having a baby of her own. I so treasure the days you and your brother were little. I remember wanting to soak it all in, knowing those days would surely be short ones. You're right - chores and errands will always be there, but these days with Annie are treasures to cherish.

    ReplyDelete