Tuesday, September 8, 2020

What's In the Book Box: September

I refill our read-aloud book basket at the beginning of each month, and I thought this school year I'd try to pull together some collections of stories with a common thread. For September, which for us is a month of settling in to our school and activity routine, I chose books about home and family and sibling relationships--books that evoke some warm fuzzies and have lots of beautiful illustrations. These all make great bedtime stories. Daddy usually does the bedtime reading around here. He will read one of these picture books, and then a chapter from a longer read-aloud (currently The Jungle Book). I read a picture book during our school Wonder Hour, and then read from a chapter book before quiet time. Thomas brings us books to read all day long, and our kids know that if at all possible, if they bring their Daddy or me a book and ask us to read it, we will. :) 

All the Beatrix Potter stories

Maple, Lori Nichols

Maple and Willow, Lori Nichols

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Judith Viorst

The Golden Plate, Bernadette Watts

The Family Under the Moon, Nancy Jewell

Ox-Cart Man, Donald Hall

Miss Rumphius, Barbara Cooney

My Great-Aunt Arizona, Gloria Houston

The Little House, Virginia Lee Burton

I Like to Be Little, Charlotte Zolotow

On Mother's Lap, Ann Herbert Scott

Treasury for Children, James Herriot

Roxaboxen, Alice McLerran

Bedtime for Frances, Russell Hoban (and all the Frances books)

Julius, the Baby of the World, Kevin Henkes

A House is a House for Me, Mary Ann Hoberman

Coat of Many Colors, Dolly Parton

Do You Know What I'll Do, Charlotte Zolotow

The Complete Brambly Hedge, Jill Barklem

No comments:

Post a Comment