Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Thousand Tongues

Do you know this old hymn by Charles Wesley? We sang it in church a couple of weeks ago. I was struck by the last verse with this phrase I'd never really thought through before: "Saints below and saints above." I know that one of the things the saints do in heaven is worship, but I had never considered that as we are worshiping here on earth, we are joined with the saints above in worship of our great God. So as I worship here, throughout my day and week and on Sundays with other believers, I can join in with David in heaven. What a beautiful way to slip behind the veil that separates us just a little.

O for a thousand tongues to sing
my great Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of his grace!

To God all glory, praise, and love
be now and ever given
by saints below and saints above,
the Church in earth and heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment