Friday, February 17, 2017

Because he is.

Thankfully, no one has directly questioned me about my decision to carry David to term. But I know some have had those thoughts. In actuality, the decision to carry David to term was made over fifteen years ago, when I realized that life absolutely does begin at conception. When sperm and egg meet, all that is necessary for life is there and a precious soul is created. Ultimately, the length of life or the size or development of a person doesn't matter. All persons are made in the image of our holy God. When our doctor gave us David's diagnosis at only 9 weeks, I knew immediately I would carry him for as long as I could. That doesn't mean I was excited about the thought of continuing along with a pregnancy when I knew my baby would die. It doesn't mean there weren't times I thought a natural miscarriage would make some things easier. But at 9 weeks, I could see his heart beating on that ultrasound screen. I could already count his fingers and toes. There was no doubt that what was growing inside of me was a baby, a life, a soul. When two of our babies died very small, before they even had a chance to develop much of a body and grow big enough to be born, I rested in knowing their souls were eternal. I know that I will meet Noel and Zion in heaven one day. I wept over not having the chance to hold them, but I will have that chance with David, and that is a gift. He will be held and he will be loved and his family will have the opportunity to meet him. For these small mercies, I am thankful. But David is not just a baby because I want him to be and because I chose life for him. He is a baby because he is.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I will be praying for you, your family and little baby David. I cannot imagine how trying this season is for you all, but please know that you, your family and that little baby are not only speaking to my heart, but I can only imagine the other lives you all are speaking and witnessing to by your faith in our sovereign Lord. Love and Hugs, Kaitlin Hoffman

    ReplyDelete