Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Body for Life

I'm on day 24 of my 84 day Body for Life challenge. It is going great! I have two pounds of baby weight left to lose (and then I'll start working on getting back to my pre-all-babies weight!) and I fit back into my skinniest pair of jeans with no muffin top--yay! I also have more energy and just feel better overall.

I have been either trying to get pregnant, pregnant, or nursing since December 2009 and so I've pretty much been able to eat whatever I want for the past several years. After Nora was born, though, I really wanted to reclaim my body and re-develop the healthy habits I used to have. I had kept up with exercise in various forms, but needed something more structured to keep me on track. I did Body for Life in high school and remembered it being a pretty common-sense eating and exercise program that I could still manage while nursing, because it doesn't restrict calories or any food groups besides white flour and sugar.

I checked out the book from the library for a quick review and then dove in to the 12 week challenge. Basically, you work out six days a week--three cardio sessions and three weight training sessions. You eat 5-6 smaller meals a day of lean protein and healthy carbohydrates, and all the vegetables you want. Then one day a week is your free day; you take the day off from exercise and eat whatever you like. This is what makes this program work for me. If I'm craving ice cream or we have a special event planned, I use the free day to keep me on track.

60 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment