Friday, February 28, 2014

Butterfly Birthday, Part 1

Annie requested a butterfly theme for her third birthday party. We were happy to oblige and her party was a hit. I found these sweet invitations on Etsy. Hobby Lobby and Target had cute butterfly decorations--a couple of fluttery banners, some butterflies on a stake that I added to pots of daisies, butterfly birthday plates, and a pinata. Honey made the personalized birthday girl banner and picked up balloons. For food, we had chicken salad and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (cut in the shapes of butterflies), a butterfly fruit tray, cheese with butterfly shaped crackers, goldfish, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream. For activities for (mostly) two year olds, we had a pinata, suncatchers to color (I had these out to do as guests were arriving), and a pin the butterfly on the flower game. I think I finally found the right flow for a child's party--family came an hour early and Annie opened her numerous gifts. Then friends arrive, we did the suncatchers as we waited for everyone. Then lunch, then cake. Then the pinata and butterfly game. Then opened gifts from friends and thanked everyone for coming. More photos coming next week!

Annie is 3! Banner by Honey.
 photo IMG_6198_zps6c016097.jpg

Goody bags for little friends.
 photo IMG_6194_zpsf2c97589.jpg

Entry table with balloons, butterflies, and daisies.
 photo IMG_6195_zpsdb4ccd83.jpg

Suncatchers to color with markers.
 photo IMG_6197_zps39567b56.jpg

Pin the butterfly on the flower. Annie got right in the middle and I promise she wasn't cheating!
 photo IMG_6299_zpsb2c8c688.jpg

Pinata. Found this cute butterfly at Target and decided we needed it for the party. Each child took a few swings at it.
 photo IMG_6278_zpseb0cff61.jpg

Cousin Dillon was pretty adorable taking his turn.
 photo IMG_6285_zps3461be82.jpg

But since none of the kids were successful, Honey finished it off.
 photo IMG_6289_zpsa0ae8b81.jpg

The food!
 photo IMG_6202_zps11504c79.jpg

Honey's butterfly fruit tray. Everything but a lemon slice was gone by the end of the party.
 photo IMG_6205_zps867ebb92.jpg

Sugar cookies, decorated over many hours by Mama.
 photo IMG_6203_zps2d1656f8.jpg

Butterfly cake! I like to bake my kids' own cakes, though I'm not the world's best decorator. But I think this one turned out pretty great, if I do say so myself.
 photo IMG_6209_zps056b5284.jpg

Annie wanted cake, cookies, and cupcakes. It was her birthday so I gave in. :) Especially when I found these sweet little butterflies at Hobby Lobby.
 photo IMG_6207_zpsd98ceb14.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment