Friday, July 27, 2012

Our First Placement

The phone rang at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. A social worker asked if we could take a 14 month old boy. I said yes and an hour later he was playing with Annie in the family room. He arrived with three diapers and a sippy cup, so after playing for a little while I loaded two toddlers in the car and braved Walmart for a few essentials. We made it through in 20 minutes with no meltdowns, which I consider quite an accomplishment!

"JJ" (I won't be sharing names or details about our foster children's circumstances; it is their story to tell, not mine. And you may not see any photos of their faces. I'm waiting for direction from our social worker about that.) has been great so far, especially considering the day he had yesterday (from mom to the police to a social worker to me, and I doubt he had a nap or a square meal). It took him about 10 minutes to settle down at bedtime, and he woke up a few times in the night but went right back to sleep. We had to wake him up at 7:30 so the social worker could pick him up and take him to his mom's court appearance. He has been sweet and cuddly and active (he's a boy!!!) this afternoon, and now both he and Annie are napping. JJ will likely be with us for at least two weeks, till his case goes to family court again.

Annie is adjusting pretty well. She is not happy about sharing her mama when they both want to be held, but they'll learn to take turns. They are both used to being the only child but I'm sure in a few days we'll find our groove.

Two toddlers can wreak havoc in a very very short amount of time. Here are a couple of photos of JJ and Annie playing while I made dinner last night. 
IMG_8011

IMG_8012

4 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for your family (and JJ's) as you all adjust. I hope you're able to enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how fun!!! congrats!! you are doing this with such great. thanks for being a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my heart goes out to that sweet child who came into the world within a difficult situation. I know you and your family will make a positive difference for him, given time. I hope the system will understand the need for children to have stability. Blessings to you for reaching out to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your hearts and bless that little baby boy. What a great family he has been placed with! God is good - All the time.

    ReplyDelete