Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Zeke's Birthday and Dog Training 102

Sunday was Zeke's fifth birthday! He enjoyed his new bone and special treats. (Yes, we are those people . . . the ones who celebrate their dog's birthday.)

IMG_4604

IMG_4607

IMG_4612

In other dog news, we've been going through dog training 102 around here. I decided we were all getting sloppy - I wasn't expecting enough from the boys and was not demonstrating much leadership. Dogs are happiest when they know their place in the pack and what is expected of them. And if the dogs are behaving the people are happier, too. :)

So we've been reinforcing "nothing in life is free" around here. If they want to go out, they have to sit first. They have to follow a command (down, shake, etc) before I put their bowls down to eat. We are brushing up on our leash-walking manners now, before I add a stroller to the mix. (Can you just see me walking down the street, with three fairly large dogs and a stroller?! People will think I'm crazy. That's okay with me.) And in less than a week my dogs are back to being good about 95% of the time. Amazing what a little effort and dedication on my part accomplishes!

Down! Stay! (Ignore the squirrel!) Good dog!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Zeke!!!!

    I continue to be amazed by you dear Abba's girl.

    Miss you terribly - things are changing round here and I fear not for my good - but oh well, like we didn't see that coming.

    Be in touch and very soon!

    ReplyDelete