Friday, March 6, 2020

Favorite Recent Reads: January and February

Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery. I read this aloud to the kids and it might be an even more magical story read aloud than all the times I've read it to myself.

the Emily books, L.M. Montgomery. Re-reading Anne inspired me to re-read the Emily books. I hadn't read these since high school. A different flavor than the Anne books--I enjoyed these more as an adult than I did as a teen. Montgomery is an excellent writer and everyone should have a chance to explore some of her work!

Adorning the Dark
, Andrew Peterson. This book was so good, I had to restrict myself from reading it in one sitting. I was sad when it ended. Andrew, we need more! Some favorite quotes below; also, the entire last two pages--you should get a copy and read it for yourself.

The steady resonance of your work might move someone closer to the Kingdom.

Sometimes you have to put away your wants and do what needs to be done, which really means dying to self in order to find life. This is a way of practicing resurrection.

It is our job, it is our ministry, it is the sword we swing in the Kingdom, to remind children that the good guys win, that the stories are true, and that a fool's hope may be the best kind.

Delight in what you find delightful more than you bemoan what isn't.

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction, Alan Jacobs. I love a good book about reading or books. :) This one isn't about lists or methods, but about reading to Whim. Read what you enjoy, read for yourself not for a teacher or improvement or a list, read to expand the joy in your life.

Motivate Your Child, Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller. I find the cover of this book off-putting, but the content is so good. I heard a podcast with Turansky and thought, "I need to read his book and find out more." Very practical guide for heart-training, instead of behavior modification parenting.

Dangerous Journey, Oliver Hunkin. Picture book/short chapter book retelling of Pilgrim's Progress. The children and I read it several years ago and revisited it last month. The power and beauty of the story is in no way diminished in this children's version.

Suffer Strong, Katherine and Jay Wolfe. Thankful for Katherine and Jay and their ministry to hurting people (which is pretty much every person on the planet).

No comments:

Post a Comment