Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Mama's Recent Reading

Book Girl, Sarah Clarkson. Love Sarah's insights and her reading lists for grown-ups. I want to read more fiction and her suggestions will help.

Persuasion, Jane Austen. My favorite Austen novel. I re-read it every year.

On Reading Well, Karen Swallow Prior. The English major in me just loves books about books!

The Point of It All, Charles Krauthammer. No other columnist can say what needs to be said like Krauthammer.

Rethinking School, Susan Wise Bauer. One of my favorites of the education books I read recently. Excellent ideas for helping your child get the best education for them--public, private, or home.

Books to Build On, E.D. Hirsch. From the author of Cultural Literacy--this is the kid's version and has good suggestions on many topics.

Books that Build Character, William Kilpatrick. I bought a copy of this one--book lists for character qualities.

A Biblical Home Education, Ruth Beechick. I didn't agree with much here. Beechick's education philosophy was basically just "teach them the Bible and don't worry about the rest." Now I will be the first to say that all that I teach my children is grounded in our faith and we hold a high view of Scripture, but there's a lot more to education than just knowing your Bible.

The Unhurried Homeschooler, Durenda Wilson. Along the same lines as Beechick, but not quite as strict. Wilson is a little too on the "unschooling" side for me. This book verified that for me, it is important for my children to have an academically rigorous education. I want to build strong minds, bodies, and spirits.

Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World, Kristen Welch. Loved, loved, loved this book. I bought this one, too. A must read for any American parent.

Give Your Child the World, Jamie Martin. Another excellent book (that I bought for our home library). Suggestions and book recommendations for teaching your child all about this big world we live in!

The Brave Learner, Julie Bogart. I wanted to like this book, but I really just didn't. I picked up a few helpful tips. Apparently I'm not a brave enough learner to leave the glitter and glue out where my children can get to them at any time.

Better Together, Pam Barnhill. A helpful little book about how to do "morning time," with tons of practical suggestions. I bought this one, too.

The Connected Child, Karyn Purvis. Amazing book designed for adoptive parents, but a book I'd recommend to any parent. Great insights into a child's brain and helpful parenting suggestions for lots of situations.

The Storm-Tossed Family, Russell Moore. Another solid book from Dr. Moore.

Long Days of Small Things, Catherine McNiel. Enjoyed this book on practicing spiritual disciplines in the throes of mothering littles.

The Wingfeather Saga, Andrew Peterson. The Gent and I both really enjoyed this four-book series. Can't wait to read it with my kids when they are a little older!

No comments:

Post a Comment