Friday, May 31, 2019

Ancient History for the Grammar Stage

I know I posted the kids' ancient literature list from last year, but I don't think I ever posted our history reading list. We use Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World as our history spine, and then supplement from there. I love this approach to teaching history. There are many ways to teach history, but I want to raise my kids with the awareness that there is much more to the world than our little corner and our present time. Traditional "social studies" starts with the child and then goes out from there, which to me just reinforces a child's natural tendency to believe the world revolves around them. ;) I'm also a fan of teaching history chronologically, so my kids can see where the stories they hear fit. So we start at creation and go to the present day, over a four year cycle. These were our favorite books from last year's study of ancient history. We didn't read every word of the Eyewitness books, but they have good illustrations.

1. I Can Be An Archeologist, Robert Pickering
2. Me and My Family Tree, Joan Sweeney
3. The Nile River, Allan Fowler
4. Egyptian Gods and Goddesses, Henry Barker
5. How the Ancient Egyptians Lived, Jane Shuter
6. Seeker of Knowledge, James Rumford
7. Who Built the Pyramids, Jane Chishol
8. The Great Pyramid, Elizabeth Mann
9. Tut’s Mummy, Judy Donnelly
10. Ancient Egypt, George Hart (Eyewitness)
11. Great Wonders of the World, Russell Ash
12. Hidden Army, Jane O’Connor
13. Buddha, Demi
14. Great Wall of China, Leonard Fisher
15. Long is a Dragon, Peggy Goldstein
16. Ancient China, Arthur Cotterell (Eyewitness)
17. The Librarian Who Measured the Earth, Kathryn Lasky
18. Ancient Greece, Anne Pearson (Eyewitness)
19. Alexander the Great, Demi
20. In Search of Troy, Piero Ventura
21. Selections from The Great Philosopher, Mary Gow
22. Romulus and Remus, Anne Rockwell
23. The Roman Colosseum, Elizabeth Mann
24. Roman Numerals I to MM, Arthru Geisert
25. The Romans, Peter Hicks
26. Who Was Julius Caesar, Nico Medina
27. Augustus and Imperial Rome, Miriam Greenblatt
28. Cleopatra, Diane Stanley
29. Ancient Rome, Simon James (Eyewitness)
30. Pompeii, Richard Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment