Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Series Books for Children

Annie and Jacob are entering the world of series books. Didn't you love a good series when you were an eager new reader? I want them to read good books but I also just want them to read, so I allow a good bit of leeway in letting them choose their own books (although I only let Jacob choose so many Lego and Superhero books). I make sure I am reading aloud quality literature and then if they want to read every Cam Jansen book that's just fine. Here are some of their current favorites:

Nate the Great by Marjorie Sharmot
Mercy Watson by Kate DeCamillo (Jacob loves these)
Cam Jansen by David Adler
Magic Tree House by Mary Osborne Pope
the original American Girl books, many by Valerie Tripp (Annie's favorites)

I recently pre-read some children's novels I had heard a lot about.
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. I fell in love with these books and read them all for the pure enjoyment of great stories filled with lovable characters. My kids aren't quite ready for these yet but you can bet we will be reading them aloud in a couple more years!

The Green Ember by S.D. Smith. Action-packed; I was tired by the end of this one. Jacob may enjoy these when he is a little older; characters are well-drawn and the story is engaging.

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson. An epic fantasy series I think we will all enjoy in a few years. A little scarier than the Narnia books.

Redwall by Brian Jacques. Another action-packed story Jacob may enjoy soon. I don't think Annie would be as interested but she might surprise me. This is the first book in a long series.

No comments:

Post a Comment