Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Think, Pray, Act

I hope this brutally honest post shakes up your happy little world a bit. :)

When people find out the Gent and I are foster parents, the responses we get are most always variations on the same theme.

I could never do what you do.
That must be so hard.
You're a really great person to do that.

Here are some of my thoughts on these common responses.

I'll be the first to admit that not everyone is called to be a foster parent. But there are a whole lot more people who are called than who are answering the call. I think there are a lot of people God is calling who are too scared and/or selfish to step up and help a child and their birth family who are in desperate need.

Because it is messy. And hard. And it is going to disrupt your life.

But that doesn't mean it isn't worth it. In our county, there are 10 foster children for every 1 foster family. And that means the vast majority of kids here--kids coming from horrible situations, when they need a stable, loving family more than ever--are living in group homes. That's just a politically correct word for orphanages. And no matter how well-run and nice it is, it's not the same as a family.

Think past the excuses and examine what it is that the Lord really wants you to do. He's calling you to do something...whatever it is (and there are many worthy causes, fostering is just one place to serve)...DO IT. Step out in faith and obedience and trust the Lord to guide you.

Trust me, you could do what I do. It really isn't that hard. It's just day in, day out loving a child--and their family--who needs you. I'm really not a great person. Some days my kids drive me crazy and I feel like the best I can do is just not enough. But God promises us His grace is always sufficient. And it is. If you believe that, then it's time to act.

1 comment:

  1. What a great read for a Friday morning.

    Thank you!
    work Samantha

    ReplyDelete