Monday, September 17, 2012

My Transformation from a Political Junkie to a Single-Issue Voter

Back in the day, when I was working in the political world and wearing suits with pantyhose and heels, I spent a lot of time keeping up with the latest political news (aka muck). Sometimes hours a day. A lot of it was entertaining. Some was educational. I was full of useless facts. But they don't have questions about state politics in Trivial Pursuit.

Now my life has changed a bit. I hardly ever watch the news. I scan the headlines (national and local) on my iphone once a day. I read World magazine cover to cover every two weeks, and I try to read a few Wall Street Journal editorials when I can. Other than that, I rely on my husband to inform me of anything else I should be aware of.

Sometimes I wish I was still as informed as I used to be, but it is not a priority anymore.

I've transformed from a political junkie to a single-issue voter.

When I get ready to go to the polls, all I look at is "is this candidate pro-life?" If the answer is yes, they are getting my vote. And if it's no, then I won't even consider them.

This may seem over-simplistic to many. But I look at it this way: the respect a person has for the sanctity of life (for all ages and in all stages of development) underlies every other decision they make. "How do I view other people?" is the foundation for a worldview.

So before I vote, I check the pro-life box. And not just the lip service, but prior voting records and history.

To me, there's nothing more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment