Friday, February 10, 2012

What I Do For Me

What do you do to keep yourself sane? I've been reflecting this week on things I do that are just for me, to keep myself healthy and fueled and content. Here's what I came up with. Because of my personality, it is important for me to accomplish my day's tasks and I find I have to schedule in time to relax. 'Cause otherwise I'll just keep going and going and--oh--did I mention I have strong type-A qualities?!

I get up at 6:30 and Annie doesn't get up till 8, so I have 90 minutes in the morning to do my Bible study, yoga or some weight training, and eat breakfast. I also use this time to straighten up the house, put away last night's dishes, feed the dogs, read blogs, and catch up on emails. But regardless of how I fill my 90 minutes, it is 90 minutes of me-time.

I try to get my household-running work (cleaning, start dinner, pay bills, etc) done during Annie's morning nap, so her afternoon naptime is free. I use afternoon naptime to relax--read a book (quality or fluff), take a bath, have a cup of tea, watch an NCIS rerun. Whatever I feel like doing. And I will not feel guilty if I accomplish nothing. That is my mama free time.

I've taken piano back up again. I try to practice 3-4 times a week. I love playing and Mom, thanks for forcing me to stick with it all those times I wanted to quit. You were right. ;)

One afternoon a week my mom babysits for Annie. I use that time to tutor at a local school and then run errands that are so much easier to do without a baby in tow! I am really enjoying tutoring and hope I am doing the kids some good . . . I am glad to have a place to volunteer and start fitting into my new city. We've been here six months and it still feels new. Someday we will find a church home (I'm so tired of being homeless) and have a community to belong to again. My social life currently consists of time with my husband, parents, and cousin. I am very grateful for their presence and there's nothing like family (especially when they babysit for free!) but it would be nice to have a girlfriend to have lunch with or get our kids together to play. Okay, I got off topic here.

Back to our star, isn't she adorable! Couldn't get us both looking at the camera at the same time, though.
IMG_5738

IMG_5745

2 comments:

  1. What music to a mother's ears - Mom, you were right. :)
    You must get your discipline from your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always take time for you - it makes you happy and there is a reason the saying has been around so long - "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". It is very easy to get wrapped up in "stuff" and forget that sometimes, doing nothing is doing a lot.

    Keep up the great work and you will find your place. Much love and misses!

    ReplyDelete