Friday, April 10, 2020

Sanity for Supermoms

I'm finding there's plenty of help and ideas for kids...I think the Supermoms deserve some suggestions for keeping their sanity, too!

I know you've heard this before, but you need a routine/schedule. You don't have to be locked in to serving breakfast at 7:33am, brushing teeth at 7:58, etc. Just follow the same pattern each day. It will help. We are creatures of habit--make sure you're developing good ones. Also, if at all possible (if your kids get up at sunrise, I'm sorry, and I realize this isn't possible--take advantage of quiet afternoon time instead), get up before your kids do. Exercise, spend time in God's Word and prayer, and get dressed before your kids are up. Your whole day will go more smoothly.

Light a candle. Arrange some flowers if anything's blooming in your yard. Go for a walk. Spend time with your spouse.

Take time each day to sit down and rest for a few minutes. Put your feet up and if you're like me, reheat the coffee that's been sitting on your counter since mid-morning. ;) Give yourself some grace to have some down time. I've been reading a lot--some weighty books, and a lot of just-for-fun fiction. I finally read all the Harry Potter books. I'm playing with some hand-lettering and wishing I was a crafter. Maybe next time we're homebound for weeks I'll learn to knit or something...

I did find a new-to-me podcast I'm really enjoying. It's called Wire Talk with Karen Stubbs. Great advice for moms. Every morning while I workout, I listen to The World and Everything In It, a daily news podcast. I also enjoy the Read Aloud Revival and Raising Boys and Girls. Sometimes I listen to At Home with Sally, Listening In, The Olasky Interview, and Don't Mom Alone. I listen to podcasts while I cook, drive (remember those days?), exercise, pay bills, fold laundry, etc.

Oh, definitely reach out to family and friends and neighbors daily! Chat with your neighbors from six feet away as you walk your street, Facetime with family, make phone calls and send emails and write texts.

Finally, music. Here's the best Easter soundtrack: Andrew Peterson's Resurrection Letters. Listen to the Prologue album today and tomorrow. Sunday, play Vol. 1. And then look ahead to the final resurrection with Vol. 2. These songs have so much truth and beauty. Every time I listen I learn something new.

When all else fails, try hot tea. Or wine. A bath, a good night's sleep, and ice cream are also helpful pick-me-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment