Friday, January 11, 2019

9 Months!

9 months! Very thankful all of baby's checkups continue to go well. As of today I gained my 25 pounds and I don't intend to gain any more. ;) Baby has been measuring big, another great sign that he is doing well and not having any problems from the antibody-E. After talking over previous deliveries and covering all the options multiple times with multiple doctors, the consensus plan is to induce at 38 weeks, 6 days on January 24th. We're going to be doing things quite differently this time because of how scary David's shoulder dystocia was for everyone (even though all the doctors are in agreement that the chance of recurrence is very low). Birth plan below.


This birth plan is intended to express the preferences and desires we have for the birth of our baby. It is not intended to be a script. We realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, barring any extenuating circumstances, we hope you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. We appreciate your support.

Our top goals are:
1. A healthy mom and baby
2. Skin to skin contact immediately after birth

• Brief history of our children:
o Annie (unmedicated birth, hemorrhage)
o Jacob (adopted out of foster care)
o Sophie (unmedicated birth, no complications)
o Nora (unmedicated birth, no complications)
o David (unmedicated birth, shoulder dystocia, stillborn with anencephaly)
• Because of David’s shoulder dystocia, I am planning an epidural for this birth.
• However, an epidural comes with all the things I have wanted to avoid in the past: being confined to bed, hooked up to various tubes and machines, and not able to be in control of my labor. I appreciate your help in downplaying the necessary interventions.
• Please start my epidural at the lowest dose possible, and increase it as requested.
• I do not want to have my water broken until late in labor.
• Help me avoid an episiotomy or tear! Guidance during the pushing stage is welcome. Pushing is my least-favorite part of labor and you will probably have to convince me to do it!
• Because of our experience with David, this birth carries much joy, grief, and anxiety. Please be sensitive to our emotional needs.
• Please give our son directly to me after birth. I would like at least one hour with our baby, undisturbed, to bond and breastfeed.
• Please collect baby’s cord blood for donation to the cord blood bank.
• We do not want our baby to leave our room at all. If this becomes necessary, my husband will accompany our son at all times.
• Our baby is to be exclusively breastfed--please do not give artificial nipples of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment