Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Pausing for Reflection

I've read these verses dozens of times, but I've been reflecting on them in a new light. (Isn't that a beautiful thing about Scripture? The Lord is always revealing new truths about Himself. His Word is living and active!) The Romans verse is about Abraham, and how he clung to the promises of God even when he was old and it seemed there was no way for God to make his family into a great nation. While the promise was yet unfulfilled, Abraham's faith grew strong as he glorified the Lord for what He was yet to do. The Isaiah verse is a familiar one, but as I was reading it I stopped for a while to be thankful that I do not carry my griefs and sorrows alone. Jesus Himself carries them. That's the beauty of Christmas: God is here and He is with us. O Come, O Come Emmanuel, and ransom us from our captivity in this broken place.

Romans 4:20
No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God.

Isaiah 53:4
Surely He has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed Him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment