Friday, November 11, 2016

His name is . . .

 photo image1 23_zpsbxhn758g.jpg

Baby Jellybean is named for his great-great-grandfather, David. David means “beloved” and though our son’s earthly life may be short he is no less loved and treasured. One of Granddaddy’s favorite hymns was “His Eye Is on the Sparrow,” such a beautiful song whose lyrics have always spoken truth to my heart.

Let not your heart be troubled; these tender words I hear
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubt and fear
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me

Shalom means “peace of God.” Not just peace as in a sense of tranquility, but peace as in the promise that someday all of creation and its people will be restored to true Shalom. So as we name our son we place our hope in that promise, that all the wrongs will be righted and all the brokenness will be healed. Jesus will return and our glorious restoration is His promise.

Revelation 21:1-5a says: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he [Jesus] who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.

4 comments:

  1. Love his name!��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful name. Your sweet David is receiving the prayers of many through our church family here in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Shalom - how beautiful and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Your baby boy and your family are in many prayers in Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete