Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Bible Study Fellowship Recap

This year I studied the life of Moses (Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy) with Bible Study Fellowship. Other than a study of Proverbs and lectures on Daniel, I don't think I've ever studied the Old Testament in-depth before. It was fascinating! So much of Jesus in the Books of the Law...who knew? :) Studying the endless sacrifices makes me so thankful for Jesus, His once and for all atoning sacrifice on our behalf. I loved learning about how the different feasts and the elements of the tabernacle reflected Jesus. The lamp stand as the Light of the world and the bread of the presence as the Living Bread I had thought about before, but the curtain between the Most Holy Place as Jesus' body (Hebrews 10:20), torn for us to allow us direct access to God? Amazing!

I was also amazed by the grace God displayed throughout these books. We read the stories of God's judgment and shudder, as we should. But for those who sought the Lord, like Rahab, God provided a place in His family. Even rebellious Korah, who died unrepentant, had descendants who became writers of the Psalms.

I enjoyed learning about the purposes of the different books and the audiences they were written for. I especially enjoyed Deuteronomy, the sermons Moses delivered to the people just before he died and the Israelites entered the land God had promised to them. I love this reminder that the Israelites were God's chosen people simply because He chose them. Likewise, as Christians it is nothing in my life that has earned me anything, but rather simply accepting Jesus' atonement on my behalf.

Deuteronomy 7:6-8
For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the Lord set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the oath that he swore to your fathers, that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you.

Hope these disjointed thoughts make some sense so someone. Nora is awake and I am being paged! Go study God's Word for yourself and hear what the Lord has to teach you.

No comments:

Post a Comment