Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pap Paw

My Pap Paw died suddenly two weeks and two days ago. He had a stroke one evening and was in heaven the next. My Nana, his children, and his grandchildren all had time to gather and say goodbye. ICU stroke units see lots of tears. But our family waiting room saw lots of laughter, too, as we remembered the funny (and foolish!) things he did and the man he was. He was many things to us and we all treasure different parts of his character. I remember the man who could make or fix or grow anything, always won at games, wrote wonderful stories, and brought lots of laughter to our family. Thankful for the small mercy that was given for me to see him one more time and tell him I loved him. I asked him to take care of my babies in heaven, to hug them for me and tell them I love them.

Explaining death to Annie and JJ was hard. I told them Pap Paw had something called a stroke and that he had died and was in heaven with God. JJ wanted to know when Pap Paw would be better so he could see him again, and I explained that he was better in heaven and not hurting anymore, but that JJ wouldn't see him again until he goes to heaven, too. Now when JJ sees pictures of Jesus in his Bible he points and says excitedly "Pap Paw is there, in heaven with Jesus." I told Annie and JJ that mama has two little babies in heaven who weren't able to be born, and that now Pap Paw can be with them. They repeat back some of this to me from time to time, but I know it will be a while before the reality of death makes sense to them. So thankful that as Christians we don't mourn as those who have no hope! Annie and JJ miss their Pap Paw--JJ asks about his hat, and whenever they eat watermelon or strawberries or blueberries they tell me about Pap Paw growing them in his garden and the fun they had berry-picking. I wish Sophie and Munchkin would have had time for a few memories of their own.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures of Pap Paw and Annie (I have several with all the kids, but can't show JJ's face here, so he and Sophie are getting short-changed).

Meeting Annie at the hospital
 photo IMG_1381_zps5062b0cf.jpg

Reading books together
 photo IMG_6551_zps5d2d6776.jpg

Her first time picking strawberries
 photo IMG_6536_zpsd417f300.jpg

Celebrating Annie's third birthday
 photo IMG_6352_zps281e43ba.jpg

Thank you, Lord, that this is not the end of the story.

1 comment:

  1. My prayers are with you and I am SO sorry for your loss. I know how hard that is (losing one's grandfather later in life) - you are so lucky to have them for 30+ years but so sad because you have had that much time with them.

    Thoughts and prayers heading to you.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete