Friday, April 11, 2014

A Long Week

It has been one of those weeks where I had to just keep telling myself to do the next thing.

Monday we woke up to almost six feet of water in our basement (from rain) and our hot water heater ruptured. Because we couldn't get to the hot water heater to shut it off we had to shut off water to the whole house for a couple of days until the basement was pumped out. The plumber is coming today to install a tankless hot water heater upstairs so we won't be without hot water in the case of future floods. The waterproofing company is getting ready to tie the spring under our house directly into the city stormwater drains, so that should get most of the water out of our house. I don't know if our water problem will ever truly be fixed but this sounds like a plausible solution. Of course, it involves digging up our yard and flowerbeds and the sidewalk and the street...we will probably be laying sod (again).

JJ had court Tuesday. It went okay, but things are just moving so slowly (he has been with us for 20 months) and any permanent decisions are still a year off. Very frustrating. We spent the first year trying to help his birth mom and move to reunification, but that turned out to be a disaster. So now we are in limbo. This foster parenting stuff is exhausting and honestly there are times I don't want to do it. Why do this to ourselves and our own children? But the Gent and I know that this is what God has called us to do so we are pressing on.

Sophie had to see a pediatric ophthalmologist yesterday. Her initial screening at the pediatrician's office indicated her pupils were different sizes and she was far-sighted in one eye. Thankfully yesterday's visit ruled most of that out. She does have a bit of astigmatism and possible far-sightedness in one eye, but nothing that needs treatment now. We will return in one year to see if she's outgrown it or if she needs glasses.

On top of all that, Annie and JJ are struggling big time with obedience this week and Mama has just not felt like dealing with that. But I had to because I don't want my children to grow up to be brats. :) It is exhausting enforcing that you mean what you say.

Anyway, it is finally Friday! The kids and I are going to the Y. I'm going to get in a good cardio workout before their swim lesson. Then I plan to celebrate the end of this week with Graeter's ice cream. And the Gent and I have a date Saturday night and we have small group Sunday night. It's going to be a good weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Some weeks are like that - even in Australia! Very proud of you and the gent. I know there are rough times, but you both handle it with such grace. Love you all!
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking and praying for you this week. Thanks for being a good example of praising God even through the storms of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I asked you to pray for me this week.....know that I'm praying for you all (and your home), too!

    ReplyDelete